Here's the thing about Steve and Evan: when they get ear infections, life goes on as normal. The snot runs from their noses (maybe it's just a cold?). There may or may not be a cough (really, isn't it just a cold?). Often times their poops would get kind of crazy (hmmmm...this is the point when I start thinking something is up). Neither child has yet to pull at his ears because of an ear infection. And, these ear infections always coincide with new teeth (well, maybe not ALWAYS), which makes it even more difficult to decide if a trip to the doctor is needed.
So, cranky Evan woke up this morning, well, cranky. I thought it was just the result of a few nights of crappy sleep. He seemed okay when I left him sitting next to Steve at breakfast at daycare. Then my classroom phone rang at 10 and it was daycare calling. When can we give Evan more Tylenol? Oh, and he just woke up from a 3 hour nap. WHAT??? So, they gave him the Tylenol, he laid around for a while, had applesauce for lunch, and went back to sleep. In the meantime, Matt and I decided that maybe he should go to prompt care after school just to be safe.
I met Matt and Evan there and could tell that Evs was not himself. His cheeks were very rosy and he was just laying on Matt's chest. When I walked in, he barely lifted his head or hand to point out that Momma was there. Matt left and Evan and I waited to be called back. It wasn't long.
His temp came in at 105! That's cause for concern, I soon found out. The nurse gave us an ice pack to put on his back (luckily he had 2 shirts on and the ice could go between the 2 layers), and also ran out to get some ibuprofen. She was concerned that if we didn't get the fever down, he might have a febrile seizure and we would end up in the emergency room. No, thank you. Let's not do that. The doctor wanted to test him for flu, so the nurse stuck a long cotton swab up his nose as far as it would go. That's super fun! Then, a different nurse threw his test away!!! So we had to do it all over again. Both nurses came in and apologized profusely, but what could I say? That's okay? No, it very much was NOT okay. Anyway, that test came back negative. Thank goodness. The doctor decided he must just have a really nasty ear infection, gave us some antibiotics, and sent us on our way.
Once the ibuprofen kicked in, he started to act like our little peanut again. He and Steve were arguing over everything after dinner. Sounds about right.
![]() |
| This was yesterday after nap. Olympics! Goggles! Minions! (Seriously, Steve has been speaking "minion" ever since we watch Despicable Me 2 a couple of weeks ago.) |


No comments:
Post a Comment