2.23.2009

The Things We Remember

Matt and I took the 7 hour drive to Central and Southwest Iowa this weekend to check-in on Grandpa, Mom and Dad. We saw most of the family, just not Jake and Emily because Emily was very sick and couldn't go to the hospital like that.

In case you didn't know, Grandpa fell and broke his hip on Valentines Day. He's been in Iowa Methodist Hospital in Des Moines since Saturday afternoon, not getting the quality of care we would like him to get. He is making progress, so we're hoping he can get out of there sometime this week, sooner rather than later, and moved to the Heritage House in Atlantic. This would be a few blocks from Mom and Dad, and much better care.

It was a bright moment in talking with Grandpa on Friday afternoon. He hasn't remembered me without help from someone in a long while. Which I can understand since I've lived a great distance away until this past summer. Friday though, he remembered me without help, 2 of the 3 times he was asked. One time he wanted to know "who that little boy is" that my mom had helping her. I reminded him that I'm pregnant, and his first question was "How'd that happen?" I chose to defer and said I could go get Matt to answer that question. I don't think he remembered that I got married almost 4 years ago. But that's okay. He remembered me.

I already knew my dad is about as close to a living saint as you can find. This weekend just proved it even more. His patience astounds me. And I teach 4th graders!

I hope Matt and I were able to provide a little relief, although brief, to Mom and Dad for a couple of days from driving back and forth and spending all hours in the hospital. They were able to clean off the dining room table!

Grandpa did get to feel where the baby is sitting right now, although that he probably won't remember. Little K and I are doing well. I'm still not gaining much, if any weight, and as I was told at church yesterday I "don't look pregnant." Tomorrow starts week 18, and I go back to the doctor on Friday, March 6 for another check-up. It seems strange that I'm almost half-way through this pregnancy. I suppose I need to start going though baby things from Josh and Teri, as well as get myself to a store or two to register.

No comments:

Post a Comment