3.24.2013

Happy Birthday, Evan Donald!



Dear Peanut,

Almost every day leading up to this one, I have commented about what life was like one year ago. In a nutshell, it was VERY different. I thought when your brother was born that I wouldn't be able to give any more love to anyone. I thought Daddy and Steve got it all. Boy, was I wrong. You entered our lives, screaming and enormous, and I think my heart almost exploded. Cheesy as it will probably sound some day to you, you really were the last piece of the Kennedy Compound puzzle. You have filled our lives to over-flowing with joy and love.

I call you Peanut, but it doesn't mean that you're small by any means. Peanut was a much better nickname than Piglet (which I almost went with based on the sounds you made while nursing). I think you are heavier than your brother was at this age, but not quite as tall. That's okay. You're going to need that extra brawn to return a few "favors" to your brother.

We joke quite frequently that you are the happiest baby in the world. No, we didn't do the research to back that up, but you are very happy...almost 100% of the time. Those darn teeth make you pretty grumpy, but even with those coming in we are still able to coerce giggles and smiles out of you. Steve is the best at it. You are enamored with your big brother, as he is with you. When I pick you up at daycare every day, you are happy to see me. But you are ecstatic to see Steve. The two of you make my heart swell.

Let's see...you have quite a list of accomplishments. I'll see if I can't get through all of them. You are crawling very rapidly from place to place. You have tried a few steps on your own, but you're not quite ready for that milestone (fine by me!). You will walk behind the walker Grandma got you for Christmas around the living room and kitchen. We have to help you with the turns, but you are pretty good at that.

You are very good with sign language already. You can sign more, all done, thank you (though I prefer to think you're blowing kisses!), hi, and good-bye. The waves are occasionally delayed, but you get there. Another of your favorite ways to let us know you're all done is to throw all of the food that you didn't eat onto the floor. Steve does not think this is appropriate and tries to help you understand that we don't throw food on the floor every time you do it. I don't think he realizes that he used to do the same things!

You are a very good eater, but at times very picky. Things you have eaten (and will sometimes eat again, sometimes you won't): chicken nuggets, hot dogs, mac and cheese, plain pasta, spaghetti and meatballs, pears, peaches, applesauce, apples, yogurt, blueberries, bread, bananas, waffles, pancakes (with and without blueberries), pizza, Spaghetti O's, sweet potato fries, french fries, Cheerios, puffs, popcorn puffs, graham crackers, cookies, chocolate, bunnies, and various flavors of baby food. I nursed you until just after Christmas. Since then, you've been taking bottles of formula, and now I mix whole milk with the formula. You are down to 1 or 2 bottles a day of strictly whole milk, in the morning and at your afternoon nap. 

Your sleeping habits over the past year have been less than stellar. However, since I stopped nursing you completely, not even at night, you have been sleeping much better. There are nights when you wake up, kind of, but all you really want is your pacifier and you go right back to sleep. One of these days, I'm going to enjoy a full night of sleep, every night of the week. However, some of the best snuggles that I get are when I find you your pacifier and hug you before putting you back to sleep.

Our lives have not been the same since this day, one year ago. You make Daddy and me smile at the end of some very rough days at work. Steve says you are his best friend and loves to play with you (well, really...next to you). We can't wait to see what the next years with you bring. 

With all our love,
Momma, Daddy, and Steve




2 comments:

  1. This was really beautiful. I cried and smiled. Grandma

    ReplyDelete