As you all know, we took our first trip as a family to visit friends and family over Easter. There were many many many ups, and a few downs as well.
First, let's get the biggest down out of the way. Steve wouldn't sleep longer than 90 minutes at a time the entire time we were at Eric and Amanda's. It was torture. He would wake up screaming as if in extreme pain or terrified of something, and it would take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes to get him calmed and back to sleep. Matt was staying with Josh, Teri, and kids, so I was left to handle this alone. I don't think I handled it very gracefully, but we survived (barely). I thought for sure that as soon as we came home he would snap out of it and I would get some more sleep. Not in the cards. Wednesday night was just as bad as the previous 5 nights had been. So, when Steve woke up at 5:40 and wanted to play Thursday morning, I decided the ladies at daycare needed a visit from him. That way, Matt and I would be able to get some sleep. Thank goodness they love Steve and Thursdays are their "light" days as far as the number of kids goes. As I was frantically getting things ready for Steve to head to daycare, he and I fell down a couple of steps. I miraculously managed to hang on to him, but in the process landed very poorly and have a banged up toe (guess I'll just have to wear sandals!) and a bum leg. Steve is completely fine. Thank goodness.
The other down is that we had to say good-bye to everyone there. Don't get me wrong. I love living closer to the majority of our family, especially with grad school and Steve happening. It's nice having Grandma around to watch Steve each week, especially when we don't know any baby-sitters in the area. It's also nice knowing if I want to, I can go visit Nana and Papa over a weekend (yes, it's a long drive, but worth it). But I really miss the friends I made in Maryland. Joni, Kelly, and Amanda are so much fun to be around, and I definitely can't replace them.
Speaking of those ladies...We had a lovely mommy pow-wow the Saturday before Easter at Amanda's. Joni and Neala, and Kelly and Sawyer all came over. We ate lunch, but most importantly just caught up and enjoyed being moms of the cutest kids around! I imagine that's what a playgroup is like.
What else did we do? Easter Sunday we spent most of the day with Josh, Teri, Cam, and Sasha. We did take a quick detour over to Nolan and Annie's new condo so Steve and I could check things out. Much to our surprise, they had just adopted a dog. She was very sweet, and didn't mind Steve rolling all over her at all. That's a good dog!
That Monday, Amanda and I wore the boys into D.C. so I could check out the cherry blossoms.
I was a little late for peak blooms. There were a few trees that still had plenty of blooms, but most of them were more green than pink or white. Oh well. It was still nice to take Steve into D.C.
Steve and I did take a short trip to Barnhart on Tuesday afternoon to say hi to everyone. It was nice to see all of the people I used to work with, although there have been many changes there in the two years I've been gone.
That's about the extent of our trip. Steve and I spent a lot of time walking Rufus with Colin and Amanda. We spent even more time just relaxing and enjoying the company of our best friends. Matt and I joked when we first decided to move to Wisconsin that he might have to send me to Maryland every 6 months so I could see Amanda. I wasn't really joking.
You might be wondering how Steve handled the airplane.
Like he handles just about everything else new in his life: beautifully. The flight out happened to coincide with his next nursing time, so he nursed, then napped, then played. On the way back it took a little more convincing to get him to nurse, but when he finally decided he was hungry and tired enough, he nursed and napped again. It was nice having seats in row 1; that meant that we had some extra room so Steve could sit on the floor and play. It was a bit of a shock arriving back in Milwaukee Wednesday. The weather had been hovering around 90 degrees in Waldorf the last two days there. When we arrived in Milwaukee, it was windy, rainy, and only about 45 degrees (not counting the windchill!). I sure wish spring would come back to Wisconsin.
Oh yeah, one other thing I've discovered about our little man. He is SUCH A BOY. Everything, and I mean everything, goes into his mouth. He is so quick, I don't even see everything that he grabs and puts in there to chew on. Plus, he really likes getting his hands dirty. After our trip in to the cherry blossoms, he came away with dirt under not only his fingernails, but also his toenails. And the corner of a ketchup packet in his mouth that he found somewhere on the ground. I've got my work cut out for me with this one.
Before I give you the updated picture sites, just a friendly reminder to those who I emailed about Matt's graduation festivities. Don't forget that we need to know by April 15 if you are attending the BBQ and baseball game to help us celebrate! If I didn't email you, and you would like information because you want to come celebrate, comment here and I will get you the details.
Okay, picture places:
No comments:
Post a Comment