I mentioned before that we joined a CSA. The past couple of weeks we've had tons of fresh veggies to cook with. One night Matt made ribs, which were delicious, and grilled new onions, new potatoes, garlic, and summer squash. The veggies were all from the CSA.
When Matt picked up our order 2 weeks ago, he got 2 HUGE bunches of cilantro. I was unsure what we were going to do with it all, so I chopped some and froze it in an ice cube tray. We'll have fresh cilantro all winter to use in recipes! The other bunch sat in our veggie drawer for the past week, mocking me. But, the CSA came to my rescue. For $20 I purchased the cookbook From Asparagus to Zucchini: A Guide to Cooking Farm-Fresh Seasonal Produce (3rd Ed.). The Madison Area Community Supported Agriculture Coalition puts this book together. The best part about it? It is organized by vegetable, so it's really easy to find a recipe for, oh I don't know, something like CILANTRO!
I went through the book the other night and marked all of the recipes that sound good, or even remotely good, like the 4 recipes for flavored butter to put on your sweet corn. Yes, please. I'll be heading to Nana and Papa's next week, and Famous Amos Sweet Corn is my favorite. Can't wait to try the butters.
So, I picked this recipe for cilantro, which happened to use almost all that we had. It also made a full pint, which the recipe did not say. You could use this on a taco or fajita salad, the cumin works well with that food. Our plans are to pick up a pork loin (or dig through the freezer, we probably have one) and marinate it in this stuff. The aromas that are cast off while putting this together are enough to make you want more. Enjoy!
Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette
2/3 c. lime juice
3 T. minced garlic (I used jarred stuff from the grocery store)
1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
pinch of salt
2/3 c. packed cilantro leaves (this works out to be about 1 good-sized bunch)
2 - 4 dashes of hot sauce (or more if you like it spicy; we added about 6)
1 T. cumin
1/4 c. canola oil
Put all ingredients in a blender and place the lid on. Turn blender on low and add the oil through the hole in the lid very slowly. If you lose the dent in the middle of the mixture, add a little water. Refrigerate.
No comments:
Post a Comment