6.10.2011

The Last Day

Somehow, the last day of school has come and gone. I don't quite know how that happened. Really. I don't know if I talked much about my students here this year. I should have. They were really an awesome class. They rivaled the FANTASTIC class I had my final year at Barnhart in 2007-2008. And all year I threatened to just keep them all to myself and be a 5th grade teacher next year. Reluctantly...VERY reluctantly...I am letting them go. After the group of 5th graders those teachers had to deal with this year, they deserve some students who will listen, follow directions, and actually WANT to learn. But I will keep tabs on them, you can be sure of that. And I will miss them so very much. Especially a few key students who, although they probably won't freely admit it, loved me just as much as I loved them.

Of course, because it's the last day of school, the weather is crappy. Thinking back over last days that I remember: nice weather (boil on Steve's but though, so stuck at prompt care), crappy weather (and preggers), crappy weather (I think...). I'm pretty sure that in my 9 years of teaching (I've seriously been at this for 9 years???) there have been only 2 last days of school that were nice and pool-worthy. Oh well.

Speaking of teaching for 9 years...The students that I taught my first year at Barnhart graduated this week. I don't know how many of them made it, but I would love to have seen them. That was an interesting class...They definitely taught me a lot about teaching and life. 

On to the rest of life...

Steve has been home from daycare the past two days with Nana. I think he enjoyed himself. He got to video chat with my class and me this morning. I had visions of Nana bringing him to school to meet everyone, but I was afraid of the meltdown that would occur when he had to leave and I had to stay. So we used Google Chat and got the best of both worlds. 

Steve will be back at daycare next week for his last full week. After that, he will go to Tuesday/Thursday (mostly) for the rest of the summer. We've got plans to go to the Milwaukee Zoo with my friend Dawn, the Racine Zoo with Jen and Addison (Steve's best girlfriend), the beach with anyone who would like to join us, story time at the library on Wednesdays, swimming lessons on Tuesday evenings, and, of course, swimming in the pool and playing in the yard. I am hoping we will take some walks in the mornings so I can get some exercise, and I'm planning to work on Steve's words, letters, and numbers. Ambitious much? NEVER!

Sunday we are headed to the Brewers v. Cardinals game: Brigid, Marty, Jen, Addison, Matt, Steve, and I. We are going to try to run the bases after the game with the kids. Hopefully we will have pictures or videos of that.

I haven't updated the photos lately, or the YouTube site. I'll work on that next week as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment