As I reenter the world of low carb eating, I need something to snack on throughout the day. I can eat most fruits. Even though they have sugar, which makes them high carb, my body can process natural sugars much easier than processed sugars and starches (like potatoes).
Prior to leaving Maryland in 2008, my friend Nicole and I spent a lot of time in our pool, hanging out, watching movies, and trying to figure out what I could eat as that was the beginning of my low carb life. She was nice enough to find a cookbook of low carb recipes. George Stella's Livin' Low Carb: Family Recipes Stella Style has a little bit of everything. I've tried several of the recipes, and want to try even more, but I have a hard time convincing Matt that life will go on without pasta, bread, and rice. Two of my other favorites are the Faux Mashed Potatoes (made with cauliflower) and Cole Slaw using Splenda and two different vinegars.
But, here is the recipe for the trail mix. I have two pictures of the finished product. I forgot to take pictures as I was putting it together, but really I think you can imagine what happens (put everything in a bowl and mix; spread on a pan and bake). I haven't made this according to the recipe exactly yet. I'll include my side notes at the bottom, but I'll give you the specifics first.
Nutty Muddy Trail Mix
1 c. whole natural almonds
1 c. pecan halves
1 c. walnut halves
1/2 c. unsalted shelled sunflower seeds
1/2 c. unsalted shelled pumpkin seeds
4 T. butter, melted
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. chili powder
1/2 t. ground cumin
2 pinches cayenne pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, mix everything together. Coat the nuts and seeds well.
3. Spread the coated nuts in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for 15 or 20 minutes. Shake the pan every few minutes (or once in the middle of cooking) to make sure the nuts cook evenly. Remove from the oven and let cool. Store leftovers in an airtight container.
Angie's Alterations
- I make a HUGE batch of this all at once. The nuts and seeds can be a little on the expensive side, so I want to get my money's (and time's) worth.
- I have yet to actually use all of the actual ingredients. When I started making this, Steve was still very sensitive to the things I ate. And we don't keep cayenne pepper on hand. As far as spices go, I have used everything except the chili powder; I have added Lawry's and Tony Cacheres' (it's a cajun seasoning that we use on almost everything). This time around I used everything listed in the recipe, and some Tony's. It's really good. I will probably add more cumin next time because I love the flavor.
- As far as nuts and seeds go, I usually wait to make this until I see "Deluxe Mixed Nuts" on sale. That way you get more variety for less money. I also add lots of pumpkin seeds, and toasted sesame sticks. You can use whatever you like best.
This batch is 4 times the actual recipe, so I should have enough for a couple of months at least. Oh, and as a side note, this stuff is great on salads instead of croutons, and I've added it to Chinese food and other leftovers just for fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment