Okay, okay, okay...Here's the recipe. I can't take credit for this though, as I received the recipe from Matt's Aunt Dorothy as part of a shower gift when we got married. It is one of the most used recipes in the cookbook.
Monkey Bread
4 small cans of buttermilk biscuits
2/3 c. white sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon, or to taste
pecans (optional)
1 stick margarine
¾ c. brown sugar
Place pecans in the bottom of a greased bundt pan.
Combine white sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.
Cut biscuits into quarters and roll into balls. Toss in cinnamon and sugar mixture.
Place biscuit balls on top of pecans.
Boil margarine and brown sugar for 1 minute. Pour over biscuits.
Bake for 30 – 40 minutes (or until the top is evenly colored, usually medium to dark brown).
Remove from oven and invert onto a large plate immediately.
A couple of notes:
When buying the biscuits, I tend to go for the store brand small cans of biscuits with 10 per can. You can use the jumbo biscuits, but you need about 1/2 as many, and it just doesn't turn out the way I think it should; that is, with lots of little pieces to pick off, like a monkey picks insects. ;)
Also, when mixing the cinnamon and white sugar, I have yet to measure the cinnamon. Usually I mix so it is evenly brown and white, as I would if making cinnamon-sugar for toast. But that's
The time given is a rough estimate! I have yet to actually have a batch finish in 40 minutes or less. Usually it takes between 45 and 60, but I also go based on the color of the top. I don't like an undercooked middle.
Enjoy!

No comments:
Post a Comment