9.03.2009

1 Month

I suppose many of you would have rather I posted about Steve turning 1 month old yesterday instead of cloth diapers. Sorry. I didn't even really think about it until last night at class when I was introducing myself and got to talk about my 1-month old baby boy. And show pictures of him. Everyone agrees he's adorable.

Some of the things I've noticed or that have happened in the past month in Steve's world:

...he spends a lot more time awake than he used to. This is great because we get to see him explore, but also hard because we're still tired and would like to sleep a little longer.
...his hands stay open a lot more. Instead of 2 little man fists all the time, we actually can see his little man hands.
...he can put himself to sleep. Usually the first time I lay him down at night, anywhere from 8 to 11, he needs to be on the brink of sleep before I let go, otherwise he wakes himself up. But when he wakes up for a feeding in the middle of the night, I can take care of all the necessary business (feeding, changing, burping), and lay him in bed awake. He makes some noise, might pretend cry, then falls right to sleep.
...he eats A LOT. Various people have been around us when I'm feeding him and they can't believe that he will eat sometimes for 40 minutes. Granted, there are burp breaks, and usually a changing break in there, but still.
...he will almost smile when he's awake and on purpose. Almost.
...he recognizes that there is a person in the mirror. He still isn't sure who that person is, or the connection between his movements and the movements in the mirror, but he does like to look at himself.
...he doesn't mind noise; in fact, he prefers noise. I think he makes so much noise in his sleep because otherwise it's too quiet and he can't sleep!
...he likes the vibrations in his bouncy chair as well as the music.
...he LOVES his swing. We just tried this one yesterday and I think he was asleep after being WIDE awake and not happy in under 3 minutes.
...he is hating baths a little less each time.
...he still doesn't like getting in or out of his car seat, but loves it once he's there and the car is moving.
There are probably more things, but I can't remember them all. Matt is working on a September album, so check the Picasa site regularly.

1 comment: