Hospital cafeterias suck. Everyone knows this. What you might not know is how they are exponentially suckier on the weekend.
We were up at 430 this morning and all I really had for "breakfast" was a piece of kringle. Not much for a big guy like myself. It's after 10 now and my stomach is pretty unhappy with the whole situation. Being hungry and bored (I know - I'm tough to please), I took a stroll down to the Spring St Cafe, a name which is really just an attempt to make another crappy cafeteria seem vaguely hip. There was next to nothing down there. Some stale looking bagels and donuts, some cereal and a poor girl shoveling out scrambled eggs which most certainly came from a carton and not an egg shell.
What got me was not the food selection, however. It's the fact that they apparently don't make breakfast sandwiches on the weekend. What the hell!?!? His despite the girl standing in front of a hot griddle with eggs and bacon to her right and bread and cheese to her left. She said it to me with a straight face though: "I'm sorry, sir, but we don't make sandwiches on the weekend." I didn't realize hospitals observed the sandwich sabbath.
So I wait... Jimmy Johns will be open soon and I can get a real sandwich so fast I will freak.
Oh, and there's the whole thing about being called "sir," but we will get to that later. I guess I am about to be a dad and am 4 months from being 31.
Oh, and about Angie... That's the whole reason we're here, isn't it? Her contractions are getting closer together - about four minutes apart. They are still pretty mild, but we are seeing progress.
-- Post From Matt's iPhone
I still believe that we missed the boat here. We could have been on the golf course this morning. We would only be a few minutes away; I mean, we could putt out & still get to the delivery room on time!!!
ReplyDeleteMaury
Yah matt, just don't flaunt the jj's in front of a!! I rember Scott eating portillo's Italian beef and fries in front of me& I wanted to strangle him I was so hungry! You go get that woman a sandwich the minute she's done; I mean it! She is working hard: 'member that! Ha! Hi from all of at the lakehouse! We all have bets going!
ReplyDeleteYou should have ordered bacon, eggs with cheese and bread, then assembled a sandwich in front of her.
ReplyDeleteI remember eating non stop while Allison was in labor. Hospital food though, no JJs.
Go Angie! Push! Oh wait, not yet. Don't listen to Mike, ever.
Mike... that's awesome! I wish I was that creative at that hour! She was a bit jealous, but I think she wants a Spotted Cow more than a JJ sandwich.
ReplyDelete