8.25.2009

Movies & Some Other Crap

As Angie wrote, her mom was in town for part of last week. Outside of our trip to the Cedarburg Bocce Classic, we have pretty much been cooped up in the house with Steve. Realizing this, Nana Arlene sent us out to see a movie while she babysat for us (a big deal 'cause it was Steve's first feeding with a bottle).

What did we choose? Inglorious Basterds. I'm not much for writing movie reviews (I tend to leave that to people like Mike & Jim (movies, poetry) (random thought: is it legal to nest parenthetical thoughts like parts of an equation?)). I will say that it was mostly awesome. Like most Quentin Tarantino movies, some of the dialog dragged on without adding value, but the rest was great. I could watch an entire movie based strictly on Brad Pitt's Aldo Raines character (then again, I could watch just about anything with him - I do have a touch of a man-crush).

While the movie was good, I was quickly reminded why I dislike movie theaters. Well, I really don't have any problem with the theaters themselves - what I loathe is the other movie-goers. The theater was less than half full, yet someone chose to squeeze himself and his date in the two lone seats between me and some other poor guy. Once the 20 minutes of previews concluded, this guy's date decided right then was the time to get up and use the restroom... Not 5 minutes prior during some preview for a movie I will never see. I could go on for pages, but it would only serve to make me look like an intolerant ass. Ask me when I'm drunk sometime.

Here's a handful of thoughts that are worth writing about, but don't necessitate an entire post...

- Remember that bigass wood pile we had in our driveway??? Yeah. Finally got that thing moved to the back yard where it belongs. With the depths of winter fast approaching (yeah, it's late August, but it's Wisconsin, people), I didn't want to be caught unprepared. Plus, it's nice to be able to shoot hoops out there again!

- I am really excited about the new motor for the ice maker. Yes, I know - I am easily entertained. But think about how much easier making a drink will be!!! I don't even have to open the door anymore to get the ice... just push a button! Its the epitome of laziness.

- I think most of you know that I love to cook (and if you didn't previously, well, uh, you do now). I traded a few emails with Mike on pork recipes the other day and it occured to me that perhaps I should add some of those (along with my commentary) here. Perhaps I will start with a Pork Marsala recipe tomorrow after Steve's doctor appointment.

- Singing. Grandma Jean and Nana Arlene cover all the classics Ang puts her own twist on lullabies by singing stuff like Livin' on a Prayer, Come on Eileen and Build Me Up Buttercup. Me, you ask? Well, I can't. Steve's not a month old, so he doesn't know enough to be a critic, right? Wrong. I sing, he cries. Not normal crying either. More like pulling-your-fingernails-out-with-pliers crying. I will leave the singing to others from now on, I think.

- More photos posted in the August 2009 album. We'll be switching soon to the September album, just so you know.

1 comment:

  1. I kinda wanted you to continue on being an intolerant (but entertaining[I like bracket embedding])ass. Movie theater etiquette is important and hulk smashing should be legal in certain circumstances. .

    ReplyDelete